Tuesday, 8 January 2013

"I'd rather be dead!" she said, at only 8 years old.

My daughter has Tourette syndrome, OCD and ADD. When she was 8 years old she was inconsolable. Her phobia of vomiting was at its worst, her tic was bending backwards( so much so that it hurt), and most of her panic attacks that came along with all of these occurred at night!

I don't know how many nights my husband and I were up with our daughter, trying to console her, without any luck. It was a crippling time for all of us. After so long my parents or my in-laws would rip her out of our arms to take her back home with them, (They all lived just minutes away.) just so we could get some sleep. I often wonder what was on my daughter's mind when we would send her to her grandparents, and hope it hasn't caused any lasting negative affects on her.

School was impossible! How do you send a sleep deprived child to school? Further more, the teachers were at a loss to help her, and had no real idea of what we were going through at home.
Finally, my daughter snapped. She would tell me over and over that she no longer wanted to live. She felt hopeless, and so did we. We drove her to a childrens' hospital 3 hours away where she was admitted to the childrens' psychiatric unit for 3 days. She was given sleep meds.We received info and advice and returned home.

Shortly after school began in October, 3 months after this episode, her anxiety fuelled up again. Not as bad as before, but enough to get the teachers calling me at my work. At one point she was having a panic attack so the principal tried to force her to sit down on a chair. Wham! My daughter hit the principal. Just days later I visited the Principal's office to apologise for my daughter's behaviour. This was the response I received from the principal: "There is nothing wrong with your child. She is a liar, and we will not put up with it any longer."

Just a few short weeks later, my daughter began going to a new school. We still have issues, but nothing anywhere near to the issues we had to deal with from the first school.

"Be the advocate your child needs you to be!"