Friday, 4 January 2013

Accomodating our expectations of students with mental challenges.

This post is geared towards those working with children within the school system. It amazes me how obvious it is for us to acknowledge the needs of students with physical needs (Although probably could be better) but not the requirements of those students suffering from mental challenges. There is still much work to be done.

For example, if a physically challenged student is not capable of partaking in gym class, I would expect that he/she would not fail this class because they were not capable of participating. In the same light, I would hope that my daughter with Tourette syndrome, OCD and ADD would not be expected to pass every class by the same expectations as those students without these challenges. I, by no means, expect my daughter to cruise through school without any effort on her part. I expect her to do her absolute best. Unfortunately, her anxiety often times takes up so much of her thoughts and energy that it makes retaining any extra info nearly impossible.

This is not a post against my daughter's school. They are accommodating and continue to keep me informed on her progress(or lack there of). This is a post to enlighten schools on how to help those students with mental challenges that inhibit they're ability to learn.

The following site shows many ways that schools can help their students flourish.

 http://www.learnalberta.ca/content/inmdict/html/tourette_syndrome.html