Friday, 26 April 2013

Tattoos

Tattoos. My husband has a few of them. Is it sinful? It depends on who you ask and how they interpret the Bible verses that describe the acceptability of them in the old testament.(Leviticus)

My friend Adrian (50+ year old) and I got into this debate a week ago, and as much as I enjoy our conversations, his opinion left me confused and bewildered.

Lets go back to when Adrian and I met about a year ago to help discern my disappointment in his opinion on the matter.

 I learnt that Adrian is a christian man. He was married with two children. He sang in a southern gospel quartet for years, travelling all over the southern US sharing his faith through song. He considered his church family to be his extended family.

He was saddened and disillusioned when his church family rejected him as his marriage fell apart and ended in divorce. His faith in Christ lives on, but his faith in the church is broken. He explains that he sees the church as a hospital for souls, that ultimately kicks you while you are down, rather than picks you up and tends to your wounds. This may be the case in his circumstance.

Adrian felt he was judged unworthy of being a member of this church. How awful he must have felt.

To the subject at hand:

I have nothing against those who choose to have tattoos. I actually like tattoos. Adrian was mortified to hear me say those words. He chose the verses in Leviticus to judge those who choose to have tats along with the verse  "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body," (1 Cor. 6:19-20).

Is he not doing to fellow christians what his church family did to him?

Any opinions?